The inaugural Alumni Job Shadow Program is taking place May13–20, 2020. Just after spring semester finals, BC students will visit organizations across the country to shadow alumni for one day. Student registration opens on Eagle Exchange Monday, March 9 and closes Friday, March 20. Don’t miss out on this unique opportunity to further your career exploration and expand your network!
Here are five reasons to register:
- We Do the Work for You. It takes less than five minutes to sign up for the program via Eagle Exchange and to favorite your top three alumni hosts. After submitting your registration questions and host favorites, the Alumni Job Shadow team will do our best to match you with an alum based on your location, availability, preferences, and interests. The alumni hosts are already registered and are excited to receive their student matches.
- It’s Perfect Timing. We want you to start the summer on the right foot. The program was strategically designed to help you make the most of your time off. We scheduled the program to take place immediately after finals (May 13-20) in locations all across the country. This means that, even if you have a summer job, volunteer opportunity, class, or internship lined up, you can still participate in the program. Interested in the wide world of communication and have an internship lined up in broadcast media? Consider participating in an advertising shadow to get two different experiences. Working at your family’s business all summer? Use the shadowing opportunity to explore a career area of interest. Required to take a summer class? Don’t let that stop you from gaining professional experience. After participating in the shadow, you will start summer break with a new perspective as well as ideas for your next steps.
- Get a Behind the Scenes Look at an Industry or Job of Interest. Participating in a job shadow is a great way to get an insider’s look at an industry or career of interest. Have you ever wondered what it’s really like to be the CEO of a start-up, a software engineer at Google, or a District Attorney? Here’s your chance to find out. With alumni hosts spanning all career clusters, there are hundreds of opportunities to spend a day in the life of a professional in an area of interest.
- Build your Eagle Network. The alumni who registered to be shadow hosts are all volunteers. They joined the program in order to connect with current students and provide you with meaningful experiences. The hosts have been in your shoes and know what it’s like to be a BC student navigating career exploration. Take advantage of this opportunity to get to know a fellow Eagle and to “try on” a career for a day. The best advice and insight comes from professionals working directly in the field, and having BC in common is a great way to break the ice with a professional.
- Gain Professional Experience. You don’t have to have any experience to register for the program. You’re eligible even if you’ve never had a job or internship. In fact, if that describes you, this is the perfect opportunity to gain professional experience. Use this opportunity to put yourself out there, experience the working world, and make professional contacts. Being in a real office environment will give you perspective on what it means to work in a specific job or industry of interest. There is no substitute for personally experiencing something in real life, and this program gives you the opportunity to do so.